Over Indulged at Easter?
By Rebecca Gawthorne – Dietitian & Nutritionist
Follow Rebecca on Instagram HERE
For many of us, Easter is a time for chocolate! But along with all of this deliciousness can come weight gain, unhealthy eating habits and slumps of energy levels. If you overindulged in the chocolate over Easter, try my tips to get back on track with your eating and shed that extra few pounds.
- Get rid of the left over chocolate – If you have extra chocolate eggs or bunnies left over, you need to get rid of them. Whether you give them away or throw them out, you will be much better off if they are not in the house; out of sight, out of mind.
- Swap the chocolate with a healthy snack alternative – If you developed the habit of snacking on chocolate over the Easter period, then it’s time to swap it for a healthy alternative. Try some Bliss Balls, fresh fruit salad, small tub of coconut yoghurt, carob coated bananas or dates.
- Keep Your Fluids Up – Many people reduce their water when they increase their refined sugar intake. So it’s important when you’re trying to wean yourself off the Easter sweets to stay hydrated. Aim for an average of 2 litres per day. If you don’t like plain water, try caffeine - free herbal teas or a glass of water with freshly squeezed lemon or lime.
- Up the Fresh Fruit & Veg – The key to health and shedding the extra kilos is to nourish your body with fresh, healthy, real fruit and veg. Aim for a minimum of 2 different fruits and 5 different veggies each day. The fibre in fruits and vegetables is perfect for keeping you full and they are loaded with essential vitamins and minerals that will help reduce sugar cravings.
- Be Active Every Day – Moving your body after indulging in sweets over Easter will not only help with weight loss, but will reduce stress levels and sugar cravings. For best weight loss results, aim for some exercise every day, with a variety of cardio and weight - bearing exercise.
- Try Going Cold Turkey – Whilst some people find the “everything in moderation” technique beneficial, others find going cold turkey the best method. Try eliminating all refined sugars, including all chocolate. This will allow your taste buds to physically change and adapt to having less sugar in your diet.
- Eat Mindfully - Mindful eating, put simply, is the opposite of mindless eating. Mindful eating helps us to become aware of our eating and positively respond to food, both physically and emotionally.
Don't forget to take your Vida Glow marine collagen daily.